Indiana man left dead in living room since last July

Standard

An Indiana woman is under investigation after her husband’s corpse was left in their home for more than nine months and fed on by birds, authorities said on Thursday.

Gerald Gavan Jr., 89, whose body was found on May 3 on the living room floor of his house in Lafayette, Indiana, had been dead since at least last July 15, Tippecanoe County coroner Donna Avolt said.

Investigators are trying to determine if Gavan’s wife, Ila Solomon, had a financial motive for not reporting the veteran’s death, Lafayette Police Sergeant Brian Phillips said. There are also laws that require prompt reporting of deaths, he said.

Avolt said the man’s body had shriveled to skeleton form and was becoming “partly mummified.” Gavan was identified because he had a steel plate in his ankle from an old injury, she said.

Solomon told Avolt her husband had been dead only a few days, the coroner said.

The cause of his death is unknown, but results of toxicology tests that are due back late in June might determine if there was any foreign substance in his body, she said.

Solomon also told Avolt she sometimes left the doors of the house open so birds could come in and feed on the corpse in a Tibetan tradition, at his request, Avolt said. Tibetan Buddhists call the practice a “sky burial.”

Avolt said the decaying body would have emitted a strong odor in the house. But Solomon also owned a house next door that she had purchased in February 2013, according to property records provided by a Tippecanoe County official.

A phone number listed for the Gavan home in Lafayette was not in service on Thursday.

Malaysia says Cadbury products found not to contain pig DNA

Standard

New tests conducted by Malaysian authorities found that chocolate bars made by British confectioner Cadbury do not contain pig DNA, contrary to a previous finding, the country’s Islamic affairs agency said on Monday.

Cadbury withdrew two varieties of its chocolate snacks from sale in Muslim-majority Malaysia last week after government tests found traces of pork in them, leading some Islamic groups to call for a boycott on all of its products.

Malaysia’s Islamic Development Department (Jakim) said none of the 11 samples it tested of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Hazelnut, Cadbury Dairy Milk Roast Almond and other products from the company’s factory had shown positive results for porcine DNA.

Jakim said in a statement that Cadbury’s halal certification for the two products would remain suspended pending further tests and investigations of its supply chain.

Jakim is the only body in Malaysia tasked with ensuring products are halal, or permissible by Islamic law. The previous tests were conducted in February by the country’s health ministry on products taken from store shelves.

Jakim had said those tests might not have been fair to Cadbury since the products could have been contaminated after leaving the factory.

Cadbury Malaysia, whose parent firm is Mondelez International Inc, has stood by its products’ halal worthiness and assured the public it was working with authorities to resolve the matter.

A Muslim consumer group that last week called on Malaysians to boycott Mondelez products said on Monday it would not reverse its stance unless the health ministry concurs with the new results released by Jakim.

“There are still a lot of question marks there,” said Sheikh Abdul Kareem Khadaied, the head of research with the Muslim Consumers Association Malaysia.

An official at the health ministry told Reuters that it “has handed the entire issue over to the Islamic agency”.

Following last week’s announcement that the chocolate bars tested positive for the non-halal ingredient, fellow Muslim countries Indonesia and Saudi Arabia said they were also carrying out tests on Cadbury products.

Concerns over halal food standards could jeopardise Mondelez’s sales in Muslim markets that are larger than Malaysia, such as Indonesia, home to the world’s largest Muslim population, and in the Middle East.

Lambert passes Liverpool medical

Standard

Southampton and England striker Rickie Lambert has passed a medical at Liverpool after the clubs agreed a fee of about £4m plus add-ons.

The 32-year-old’s move to Anfield will be confirmed on Monday, after he has flown to Miami with the rest of England’s World Cup squad.
The Liverpool-born forward will sign a two-year deal at the club where he spent five years as a youth player.
Lambert was an unused substitute in England’s 3-0 win over Peru on Friday.
He scored 14 goals in 39 games this season, and has netted 117 times in 235 appearances since joining Southampton from Bristol Rovers in 2009.
Lambert, whose contract at St Mary’s has two years remaining, has won four England caps, scoring twice.
And former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler believes his signing is a smart move by Reds manager Brendan Rodgers.
“From a Liverpool point of view, it’s a perfect fit,” Fowler told BBC Sport.
“For £4m-£5m, it is a fantastic piece of business for a recognised English striker who is proven in the Premier League.
“He’s probably a little bit different from what we’ve got already but he’s a Liverpool lad and all his family are from Liverpool, so straight away you are going to get that extra 10% from him.”
Southampton turned down one offer from Liverpool for Lambert, having rejected a similar bid from West Ham in January. (external)
There has been interest in the striker from other clubs, but it is understood he was only considering Liverpool.
Saints, without a manager following Mauricio Pochettino’s move to Tottenham, decided they would not stand in Lambert’s way if they received an acceptable offer.
Liverpool remain in talks with Southampton over England midfielder Adam Lallana, 26, and Croatia defender Dejan Lovren, 24.
They have also made an enquiry for Sevilla full-back Alberto Moreno, 21, and said they are willing to pay as much as £16m for the player.
Saints have turned down one offer for Lallana and are resisting Liverpool’s attempts to rush a deal through, though the player was keen to resolve his future before flying out to Miami on Sunday.
Southampton remain in talks with Manchester United over the sale of left-back Luke Shaw, who is also in Roy Hodgson’s England squad.
They are under no financial pressure to sell and are determined not to be forced into sanctioning deals by suitors keen to make signings before the World Cup.

Good news for arsenal fans as Wenger get £100m to lounge an assault in the transfer market this summer

Standard

Arsene Wenger admits he is ready to spend heavily this summer to transform Arsenal into genuine title contenders after finally signing his new contract.

Sportsmail revealed on March 19 that the Frenchman had agreed a new three-year deal worth £8million a season.

The club yesterday confirmed one of the worst kept secrets in English football, just 31 days before his contract was due to expire.

Arsene Wenger signs up for £100m Arsenal spending spree… with Karim Benzema, Lars Bender and Loic Remy on his radar

By Sami Mokbel
22:30 30 May 2014, updated 09:31 31 May 2014

Facebook
Twitter
Click to open
Pinterest
Google Plus
Reddit
Stumble Upon
Digg it
LinkedIn
Email
Click to close
271
shares
168
comments
Arsene Wenger will be handed a £100m kitty to spend on transfers
Frenchman has signed a new three-year contract at the Emirates
Arsenal need a new right-back, central midfielder and centre-forward
Lukasz Fabianksi has left to the club for Swansea City
Karim Benzema, Lars Bender and Loic Remy are on the wanted list
Arsene Wenger admits he is ready to spend heavily this summer to transform Arsenal into genuine title contenders after finally signing his new contract.

Sportsmail revealed on March 19 that the Frenchman had agreed a new three-year deal worth £8million a season.

The club yesterday confirmed one of the worst kept secrets in English football, just 31 days before his contract was due to expire.

VIDEO Scroll down to watch Arsenal target Lars Bender score a great goal for Leverkusen

Hey big spender! Arsene Wenger will have a £100m transfer budget after signing a new deal  
MORE…
Arsenal’s Per Mertesacker hungry for 2014 World Cup win after FA Cup success
Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner wanted by Hull manager Steve Bruce
Alex Song alerts Liverpool, Manchester United and former club Arsenal with Barcelona midfielder ready to leave Spain
Arsene Wenger has signed new three-year £24m contract with Arsenal
Angel Di Maria admits he is unsure of Real Madrid future amid Arsenal interest
Arsenal will hand Wenger a £100million transfer fund this summer who said: ‘We know we have to have a successful June and July, that’s where you strengthen the team,’ said the Gunners boss. 

‘It’s very important that we are good now in the next two months until the end of August, that we can give to the team some more quality and go into next season with the belief we got from [the FA Cup] win.

‘Should the fans expect a big summer? Yes, they should expect that. 

‘What I can promise is that we work very hard in a market that is very, very congested with many people who have a lot of money. 

‘But we have a big advantage, players want to join us and if we find the right quality I’m sure we can strengthen the team.

He added: ‘We are entering a very exciting period. We have a strong squad, financial stability and huge support around the world.

‘The club has always shown faith in me and I’m very grateful for that. We have gone through fantastic periods and also periods where we have had to stick together. 

‘Every time when that togetherness was tested I got the right response. I think I have shown some loyalty towards this club and hopefully we can make some more history.

‘It’s time for another great Arsenal team [to emerge]. It’s the start of a new team and I believe [the FA Cup] victory was crucial in that belief.’

Wenger has prioritised three positions to strengthen this summer: right-back, central midfielder and centre forward.

He also needs a new back-up goalkeeper following the departure of Lukasz Fabianski to Swansea.

Atsuto Uchida (Schalke), Callum Chambers (Southampton) and Serge Aurier (Toulouse) feature on the club’s list of potential right-backs.

Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen) and Morgan Schneiderlin (Southampton) are contenders to for the midfield signing, while a move for former captain Cesc Fabregas is not being ruled out.

Gunners chiefs have held talks with Real Madrid chiefs about moves for strikers Karim Benzema and Alvaro Morata, while Mario Mandzukic (Bayern Munich) and Loic Remy (Newcastle) are being considered.

Navas, Iturraspe & Moreno out of World Cup squad as Del Bosque axe them from squad.

Standard

Vicente del Bosque has confirmed that Jesus Navas, Ander Iturraspe and Alberto Moreno will not make his final 23-man squad for the World Cup in Brazil next month.

The former Real Madrid coach took a squad of 27 to the Sanchez Pizjuan in Seville on Friday night for his side’s 2-0 victory over Bolivia.

But that number has now been reduced to 24 after Del Bosque confirmed that Manchester City winger Navas, Athletic Bilbao’s Iturraspe and Sevilla defender Alberto Moreno will all miss out.

“Navas has recovered well over the last few days, but he has gone six weeks without playing, so we have told him it’s difficult for him to come,” Del Bosque told reporters.

“I have told Iturraspe and Alberto Moreno that, for now, they will not travel with us unless something else happens.”

Diego Costa is still hoping to overcome his injury and Del Bosque revealed that he will make a decision on the Atletico Madrid striker and his club team-mate Juanfran on Saturday.

“We still have Juanfran and Diego Costa who have small problems. On Saturday at 1pm we will make our decision,” the 63-year-old continued.

“With Diego Costa it is still up in the air. We will wait for the response from our medical team.”

One man who looks like he will be going to Brazil is Fernando Torrres, who opened the scoring from the penalty spot on Friday.

“I have a lot of confidence in Torres, that is why he is here,” added Del Bosque. “I am very happy with his work.”

Netherlands announce 23-man World Cup squad

Standard

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Tim Krul (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Paul Verhaegh (Augsburg), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Daley Blind (Ajax)

Midfielders: Leroy Fer (Norwich City), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea City), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray)

Forwards: Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahce), Jeremain Lens (Dynamo Kiev), Memphis Depay (PSV)